Diabetic. Have red blotches on legs. Suggest

Red blotches on my legs ,could this due to my diabetes Ihave type 2 diabetes had a blood test
result under control ,under active thyroid ,take statins for colestrol ,obese weight is reducing
through diet and walking the dog everyday eye sight is good also just lately at the end of the day my legs ares slightly swollen
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later

Thanks for query.

Necrobiosis lipoidica diabeticorum (NLD) is a degenerative disease of collagen in the dermis and subcutaneous fat with an atrophic epidermis and granulomatous dermis. The initial lesions of NLD are well-circumscribed erythematous plaques with a depressed, waxy telangiectatic center.

In early lesions, a neutrophilic vasculitis is evident. With the passage of time, granulomatous lesions evolve into a sclerotic stage of the reticular dermis and subcutaneous fat. One-third of lesions may progress to ulcers if predisposed to any trauma. The vast majority of lesions occur on the pretibial region of the lower extremities.

It is not hereditary.

Skin biopsy may be performed to confirm the diagnosis..

Unfortunately, there is no effective cure for necrobiosis lipoidica. With time, the inflammation gradually improves, leaving scarred skin, which is permanent.

Treatment: following treatment should be tried.

Topical steroids, usually under a plastic occlusive dressing
Intralesional steroid injections or steroid tablets
Aspirin and dipyridamole combination
Oxypentifylline tablets
Oral ciclosporin
Photochemotherapy (PUVA)
Laser surgery.

I hope you got my answer, still if you have query, let me know.