Developed soft bump on site of head injury. Is continued icing and observation sufficient?

Hi. I hit the right crown of head really hard last Friday night. I did not go to a doctor, but figured I had a slight concussion, because of some of the symptoms. I've rested several days, and the symptoms have gotten better. I only had a slight headache and pain from where I hit my head. The headache has pretty much disappeared (just an occasional dull pang in the temples), but now the spot where I hit my head has become a small slightly soft bump. Is this something to worry about? Or will continued icing and observation be sufficient? Please help me. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand you are concerned about the head injury.

The soft bump that has come up is due to the collected tissue fluids at the site of injury. It is normal in the area of scalp, as the tissue layers are tightly present and it means that your body is repairing itself. It should clear in a couple of days from now. Yes - continue ice packs in the area.

Observe your symptoms too - if the headache increases/pain rises/vomiting/dizzyness - then you know it needs evaluation.

I suggest you to take some over the counter analgesics for some days, to curtail the chances of this pain getting on your migraine due to stress.

Relax, and you should do well in a few days.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Follow-up: Developed soft bump on site of head injury. Is continued icing and observation sufficient? 10 hours later
Thank you for your advice and reassurance. However, a friend of mine noticed that I have a dark purple bruise behind my ear and about the length of it. The area around the bruise is a yellowish-green so I assume it's healing. Strangely though, that was not the spot I had hit my head, so I'm concerned I have ruptured something and blood is gathering there. My other symptoms have not gotten any worse. Are we overreacting? Please help.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 6 hours later
Thanks for the reply.

If this is a condition that has arisen with the injury separately from the scalp, then yes it certainly is healing. Yes, blood capillaries below the scalp skin rupture due to the pressure giving rise to a bruise. The colour changes are normal.

Keep an eye on that, as much as other things I wrote above.
You should do fine.

You can write in for further queries.