Ask a Dentist   »  

Developed liquid filled cyst in mouth after dental work. What is causing this?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
The last 2 times I had dental fillings, one upper then few days later one lower, my hard palate felt like there was fluid under the surface a few hours later then developed liquid filled cyst on opposite side of my mouth from dental work (above molars inside upper part of mouth which got so large second time it broke open and I has a very sore raw area there for 2 weeks.
Any ideas what caused this? Did not happen again when I went for a cleaning but I need a filling and concerned it will happen again.
Posted Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 1 hour later

I would like to know if you were on any medication during that period, as an ulcer / cyst can occur due to some medicines. Cyst on the opposite side of mouth sounds unusual as, if there is a reaction to the filling then it should be on the same side.

Still, the chances of you having another cyst because of a filling are rare.

If all your symptoms are resolved, you need not be concerned. I would suggest you to visit a dentist for a full mouth X-ray to diagnose the reason for the cyst if symptoms recur.

Hope this answers your query. Do let us know if you have any more queries.

Follow-up: Developed liquid filled cyst in mouth after dental work. What is causing this? 56 minutes later
I may have been on Voltaren topical gel for a frozen shoulder.
I have a coworker an RN who worked for a dental surgeon and she thought the dental anesthetic may have gone into a duct instead of just the surrounding tissue and caused the fluid under the hard palate and fluid filled boil on the other side of my mouth. What do you think, is that possible? The second tooth I had done sis not feel like it was frozen at all.
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 24 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

No, it sounds very improbable for the fluid to enter any duct and cause a cyst on the opposite side of the mouth. Maybe you had a reaction to some drug but i do not think that you should worry about it. I am certain your filling will go uneventful.

If possible you can start with a multivitamin for some time as it will help you increase your body resistance.

If you have any more queries do let us know.