Developed blurred vision, ear pain and yellowish fluid discharge. On medication. Cause and cure?

ENT Specialist
I have suddenly developed ear pain and I can see a yeallowish fluid was coming out of my right ear and the pain slowly progressed and the whole right part of the face is paining now which makes chewing anything near impossible and also I felt my vision blurred, leave alone can't hear anything from the right ear.I visited ENT specialist and he put me on medication for 5 days and has given a reason which was not very convincing. Please let me know what could be the reason for this and also the ear drops seems not entering the ear canal as I can feel its faling out.
I don't see any relief and its 2 days now since I am on medication.
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 5 hours later

I have gone through query regarding acute pain in your right ear associated with yellowish pus along with this your right half of face is painful and you have difficulty in opening the mouth and you have blurred vision. You feel that ear drop is not entering into the ear canal and you are not getting any response of treatment.
Considering your problems I am suspecting that you are having infection in your external auditory canal because anterior wall of this ear canal is formed by joint of our jaw (T.M.J.) and in all movements of jaw this anterior wall moves. So whenever there is inflammation of ear canal movements of jaw becomes painful.Because of swelling in walls of canal diameter of canal becomes narrow thus giving rise to ear blockade which you feel as impaired hearing and difficulty in passing ear drop to go in the canal.
Since you have blurred vision and pain on right half of face this indicate you may be having involvement of facial nerve which is found in diabetic patients with infection in ear canal by Pseudomonas bacteria this particular situation is named as Malignant Otitis Externa. This is a non cancerous pathology but due to it's complication and difficulty in treatment it is labeled Malignant.
You are now advice for these basic investigations-
(1) Blood sugar (fasting & P.P.)
(2) Culture and sensitivity of ear pus.
(3) C.T.Scan of right ear (HRCT)
after this much workup please take opinion of eye specialist to rule out any other ophthalmic cause of blurring of vision.
Considering all above aspect thorough clinical examination of ear is must so please consult any XXXXXXX E.N.T.specialist to treat your case.
Hope you are now satisfy about your query.

Follow-up: Developed blurred vision, ear pain and yellowish fluid discharge. On medication. Cause and cure? 16 hours later
Thanks for your response.
You perfectly understood my problem and thanks for the suggestion :)

I have mentioned in my query that I already consulted NET specialist and he is pretty XXXXXXX He put me on medication for 5 days and I did mentioned the medicines and ear drops he prescribed.
You have not mentioned any response related to the medicines he suggested. I read in the blogs somewhere that because of this medicine DISTACLOR, one of the side effects it may have includes is this blurred vission, constipation etc.
Awaiting your response on the medication prescribed.

Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 2 hours later

Welcome back.

Based on your description I feel all your current symptoms are linked to a single ear pathology which I described in my earlier reply. I do not feel the listed medications could be causing blurring vision as you also have other co-symptoms related to ear infection.

Therefore I urge you to report back to your ENT surgeon. You can consider the above lists of investigation to understand about your condition, real extent of pathological process and next plan of treatment. It is important that we exclude diabetes to prevent serious complications.

The clinical findings need to be co-related with results of investigation to reach the correct diagnosis. Without an opportunity to examine you, I am limited to provide you further assistance. I am sure I would be able to assist you better once we have those results. Therefore, please report back to your ENT surgeon.