Delicate shin bone,skin red and itchy, on triple antibiotic ointment

my left XXXXXXX bone is soft and indentions are left if I push in or wear tight socks...the skin area to the right side of my left XXXXXXX is red and itchy and the skin is swollen. I have put a triple antibiotic ointment on the red area and it relieves the itchyness temporarily but is not clearing up the skin...
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 29 minutes later

As the soft tissue medial (right of the left shin) to the XXXXXXX is less, any pressure (such as tight socks) will definitely leave an imprint on the skin over the XXXXXXX

The redness is caused due to local irritation, decreased blood supply to the affected skin, lack of air circulation etc.

The only way to permanently cure this condition is:
1. Avoid tight socks
2. Use cotton socks instead of wool or other synthetic material socks

Right now I suggest you to leave it alone. Remove any tight material around the XXXXXXX The skin will return to normal by next morning.

But if you are in a condition where you cannot remove or change your socks, you can fold the socks by one step such that the elastic part is below and over the smooth part of the socks.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Delicate shin bone,skin red and itchy, on triple antibiotic ointment 7 minutes later
Thank you for your response...but when I put pressure directly on the XXXXXXX bone itself, I can leave an indention. The bone itself is very soft compared to my XXXXXXX bone on my right leg. What is causing the bone to become very soft and mushy. Also, the area that is red and irritated has been that way for 6 months with no sign of improvement...after the skin has been left without ointment the skin becomes extremely dry in that area and extremely itchy.
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

The indentation which you are referring to is mostly due to soft tissue edema. Because if it was really the bone which was soft and indenting you would not able to walk.

It would be better if you could send a picture of both your legs from below knee to the following email ID " YYYY@YYYY " with subject line as "ATTN : Dr.Tulasi Raman.P"

But if you still feel its the bone that is the cause for your problem, you can always get an x-ray of both legs which will rule any of the bone condition if you may have.

If it is a soft tissue edema you will need a physical examination by a doctor who will be able to arrive at a diagnosis to your condition. You may also require few lab tests to be done.

Waiting for your images.