Delayed periods, cramps, pregnancy test result negative, Rh negative

My period is 5 days late and I have some cramping, I was also sick and have been queasy all week. Pregnancy test was negative this morning ! what next?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Follow-up: Delayed periods, cramps, pregnancy test result negative, Rh negative 3 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 minutes later
Hello Polly,

For such kind of on and off delayed periods especially when you are not on any birth control, firstly you need to test your pregnancy status by doing a urine for pregnancy test for which kits are readily available in market.

Ideally urine for pregnancy test should be done after 1 week-10 days of your missed periods. I would suggest you to repeat a pregnancy test after 4-5 days. Use a morning sample of urine for the test.

If pregnancy is completely ruled out, then other causes should be explored. Sometimes, period are late due to stress, anxiety and infection.

If the periods are not regular, then the causes could be Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOD), diseases of pituitary gland, and hormonal imbalance of Estrogen and Progesterone.

Your doctor may consider tests like blood sugar levels, Thyroid Function Test, Prolactin, Follicle-Stimulating hormone (FSH), Estrogen, and Testosterone. Imaging studies, such as ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis may also be recommended.

You may need treatment with Progesterone or Oral Contraceptive Pills to regularize your periods.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.