Delayed periods after sex. Noticed spotting. Having cramping and low back pain. Pregnancy test negative. help?

Mar 2013
hey I had sex a day after I was due for my period
now im five days late and im having cramps and lower back pain
when I went to the toilet today and wiped there was a drop of blood. . I had a pregnancy test it was negative please help
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us with your health related concern.
As the pregnancy test was negative, do not worry about a pregnancy.
A home urine pregnancy test is 97 % reliable in diagnosis of a pregnancy.
Rarely, a scant and delayed period could occur once in a while.
Other causes could be - stress, anxiety over some issue, recent and hectic travelling, rapid changes in weight, exercise, changes in climate, diet or sleep schedules.
Ingestion of hormonal medications ( birth control for example ) or other drugs ( antidepressants etc ) might affect your periods.
If the pain and cramping persists, but a full blown period fails to appear in a few days , you would do well to consult a gynecologist.
Few conditions applicable in this scenario which should be ruled out are - polycystic ovaries, thickening of the lining of the uterus ( endometrial hyperplasia ) , thyroid hormone dysfunction, ectopic pregnancy ( pregnancy outside the uterus ) etc.
An ectopic pregnancy is extremely rare, and fails to show up often , on a conventional HPT.
A per vaginum and per speculum examination alongwith relevant blood tests and a pelvic ultrasound would clarify the diagnosis further.
All the best.
Please feel free to ask further follow up questions.