Dark green & sticky stool like meconium with solid pieces, switched to sililac from organic dairy formula due to chronic constipation. Concern?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I switched my son from Organic dairy formula to Sililac at 2 mos due to chronic constipation. His stoll was similar to gravel. He is now three months and since the change in formula his stool has resembled meconium; dark-green and sticky but also with solid pieces. It's been a month and I'm concerned that this may be an indication of a serious problem.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 14 hours later

Chronic constipation in first few months of life is usually a common occurrence especially in formula fed babies, which may resolve on its own once the immature gut gradually matures and becomes more efficient in digestion.

Another reason may be inadequate dilution of the milk with water to suit the baby’s needs. Cow’s milk contains more solids and less water than breast milk, so needs to be diluted with 1/3 amount of water before consumption by baby. Sometimes even after all efforts the infants remain constipated and gassy for first four months of life but treatment is not required if the baby is comfortable, his activity and sleep are unaffected and he shows steady weight gain.

Now your baby is passing greenish stool which if unusual to his regular pattern or with increased frequency, or foul smelling may indicate intolerance to the similac or infection. The best way to confirm is to consult your baby’s pediatrician who may order a stool routine test which can rule out infection and may reveal if any undigested food is present in his stool. If there is infection treatment with antibiotics will normalize the stool, if intolerance then you might need to change to another brand of formula. If the report is normal and the stools are less than four times a day and are not affecting baby’s growth and activity then it can be considered a normal pattern for him and will change on its own. So please do not worry.

I would advise that even though you may feel that his symptoms are negligible and may be a normal pattern there is no harm in getting the stool tested right away, so that all your doubts may be resolved at once.

I again would like to state that the situation is not worrisome unless the stool shows blood in it, or the baby shows signs of dehydration like decreased urination, weight loss, fever, irritability, and refusal to feed. If any such symptoms develop then please seek prompt consultation.
Hope I have answered your query.

I'll be available for any follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.