Cracking and popping sounds from back of head and slight pain in jaw. Reason for popping sound and thumping sound while walking?

Nov 2013

Hi Doctor, My son fell backwards on his head two weeks ago, since then he has complained of cracking, popping sounds at the back of his head, and slight pain in jaw. No headaches or other symptoms,. but he is very anxious about the cracking sounds and the thumping in his head when he walks fast, what could this be??? He had a CT scan done, they told him it would go away, and that he did not fracture his head. He has no bleeding in the head either. So what is this cracking noise at the top back of skull? And Thumping when he walks fast?
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms do not suggest any serious injury

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have read the symptoms your son is experiencing after the fall. First of all, I would like to reassure you that these symptoms do not suggest any serious head injury.

Moreover, the CT scan of head has been done, and there is no skull fracture or bleeding in the brain. This also is a good news.

The cracking sound is often due to Anxiety can make these symptoms and thumping sensation worse.

I hope it helps. please get back if you have any follow up queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist