Could i get HIV from unknown woman by fingering her with cut on finger?

Oncologist
Question
fingering a woman with a small cut on finger
2 october 2008

3 years ago i had sex with a prostitute, i am a little concerned with the chance of getting hiv from fingering a woman of unknown status with a small cut that was about a 30 minites old on my finger. i have been informed that my chances are low is this correct
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some information and reassurance regarding your concern.

You are absolutely correct that the likelihood that you have contracted HIV from this one single exposure is extremely low. And open cut does a place you at some degree Abella rated risk but still it is quite unlikely. The HIV virus is secreted in vaginal fluids but still you would have to have a significant and prolonged exposure via fingering as you have specified. Let me reassure you that I can almost guarantee that you are HIV negative.

Along the same lines however I still do recommend that you obtain a screening blood test for the HIV virus. This will be the ultimate reassurance that you are really HIV negative. This test is usually routinely available at most pharmacies health departments and so forth.

Once again, I want to reassure you that it is highly unlikely that you have contracted the HIV virus. I do recommend that in the future you take precautions if you are in a situation where you feel you might be at increased risk.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found this answer to be both informative and helpful. If you have any additional questions regarding this concern I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert

Follow-up: Could i get HIV from unknown woman by fingering her with cut on finger? 23 hours later
what do you mean The HIV virus is secreted in vaginal fluids but still you would have to have a significant and prolonged exposure via fingering as you have specified by the way i have fingered her for only 10 seconds, that was 3 years ago and i had no sign for flu or anything else

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 59 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the followup.

What I meant is that in addition to the fingering, an unprotected intercourse or additional exposure would place you at higher risk. I do not think you have HIV and am quite confident of this.

However, it is only prudent and good practice to recommend that you have a screening HIV evaluation done to provide confirmation and reassurance regarding your current health.

It is also reassuring that you have exhibited no suspicious symptoms whatsoever in the interim.

Thanks again for the query.

Please let me know if you have any additional concerns regarding this question and I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga.