Could encephalomalcia be related or caused by lupus? Or is it venous malformation?

could encephalomalcia be related or caused by lupus or is it just a venous malformation
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 50 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Regarding the encephalomalacia seen on the MRI of the brain, Cerebral softening (encephalomalacia) is a localized softening of the brain substance, due to hemorrhage or inflammation.

Encephalomalacia can be caused by any condition which cause inflammation and bleed in the brain. Lupus related complications which can cause encephalomalacia are stroke, hemorrhage and meningoencephalitis. Vascular malformations like venous AVM's rarely can cause cerebral softening due to ruptured blood from the vessels.

So I personally feel you encephalomalacia is a non-specific entity and can be caused by any condition which injures the brain tissue. Commonest cause is head injury and birth related traumas. Both Lupus and venous malformations can rarely cause encephalomalacia and cannot be differentiated on the MRI.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist