Coughing blood and mucus. Suffer from anxiety, have panic attacks, smoker. Can you help?

Hi. I'm a 40 year old female smoker. This afternoon I started coughing up specks of blood sometimes in conjunction with mucus. The blood is bright red. I suffer from anxiety and this has caused me to have panic attacks. Can you help?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 21 minutes later

Thank you for posting in your query

Cough with blood stained sputum is an ominous sign. I suggest that you see your tuberculosis, lung cancer amongst other reasons. You will require to get blood tests and X XXXXXXX chest done to find the exact cause.

Just to add to your knowledge, chronic smoking can cause many ill effects on the body which includes chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema, neuropathy, coronary artery disease, cerebrovascular accidents, immunodeficiency and cancers, particularly lung cancer, cancers of the larynx and mouth, gastointestinal cancers and pancreatic cancer
It is important that you quit smoking as soon as possible. Your primary care physician will be able to assist you in doing the same.
I request you to visit your doctor at the earliest

Hope I have answered your query

Dr Gowri