What are the post health care tips after spleen removal surgery?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi, I am going to have surgery and my spleen will probably be removed, what will I need to do after to keep healthy , right now I never get sick but I am afraid after the surgery I will always be sick. thanks
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. I understand your concerns, but splenectomy is a relatively routine procedure today with minimal morbidity and postoperative complications. The only serious complication is streptococcal infection which is almost always prevented by vaccines. other complications are the same as for every other abdominal surgery such as wound infection,hernia or trombosis, but serious problems are rare. But I am not sure are you talking about splenectomy only or there is more radical surgical procedure. if there is malignant tumor in duodenum or pancreas then this will probbaly be whipple procedure and in this case splenectomy is much less problematic for patients than resection of stomach and pancreas. In this case you may have prolonged recovery and certain digestion difficulties. but even in this case,if early postoperative period is uneventful, all complications can be prevented by antibiotics, certain medicines and dietary changes. So, I am sure that doctors are aware that this will be more beneficial for you than not to perform surgery. and I agree,especially if there is diagnosis of malignant tumor. So,if there will be whipple procedure, then this is complex and serious surgery,but you have to think positively and find strength to go through all this. most operations are very succesful and tumor can be completely removed. I am sure this will be in your case too. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Follow-up: What are the post health care tips after spleen removal surgery? 2 hours later
Thank you! The doctor did not mention whipple procedure. What is that? Based on your experience What will my quality of life be, I have not lost weight , I have gained weight. Once I saw the mass my mind went blank. I have had no symptoms besides a bloated stomach but now after seeing the mass I am having back pain. What can I do before my surgery end of January to make my recovery easier? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 18 hours later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Whipple procedure is done where there is malignant tumor of duodenum,pancreas and distal choledochus. It includes partial resection of stomach,small intestine and pancreas. It is the only efficient cure for such tumors. So ask your surgeon is it what he is planning to do. If this is Whipple, then you ll have to be patient and hospital recovery may last for 2 and more weeks. Also you ll have to be in intensive care unit for 4-7 days. The prognosis is sometime unpredictable. People can live without stomach,spleen and part of intestines almost normally. Pancreatic function can be replaced with pills. You will just have to adjust your diet. You may feel digestion difficulties and abdominal discomfort but this is usually not affecting quality of life very much. You will lose weight for sure after surgery. But if you know that this is life saving surgery then you shouldnt think about complications. In these procedures it is most important that an early postoperative period is uneventful. There is always risk of sepsis, abscesses, anastomotic leakages and many other possible complications, but if your heart,lung and kidney function is fine then I dont expect some problems in your case. The bad new is that it is questionable how serious this tumor is and the exact tumor location and surrounding infltration can be determined only intraoperatively. In some cases such tumors are inoperable and this is very bad sign. Sometimes there are also metastases and tumor infiltration of other organs. This would require chemotherapy and prognosis is bad too. If preoperative diagnostic tests didnt show metastases then you can hope for the best and this is complete tumor removal. There is no much thing you can do to before surgery. You can strengthen your immune system by vitamins and eat healthy food. Try to think positively. Everything else depends on this intraoperative finding that I ve mentioned and on skills of your surgeon. This all that I ve said is right if we are talking about whipple procedure and maligannt tumor. In other cases,the story is different.
Follow-up: What are the post health care tips after spleen removal surgery? 8 hours later
Thank you! Happy Holidays!
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 44 hours later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: You re welcome. Happy Hollidays too!