Constant ringing in ears.Need permanent cure

ENT Specialist
ringing in the ears is constant like a sizzling off in the distantmy mother is having a constant ringing and her ears she's about 87 answer something we can do to help alleviate this problem for her or is it really something severe
Posted Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Everyone experiences tinnitus sometime during their lives, even when their hearing is normal, especially when the surroundings are quiet. Kindly get her ears examined to rule out blockage due to ear wax (cerumen) build-up, which is the most common cause for tinnitus. Get her blood pressure and hemoglobin levels checked. You may also get a Pure Tone Audiogram (PTA) done after that to rule out any age related hearing loss. You may also get her middle ear pressure checked (Impedance Audiometry).Can you post her audiogram? What is her Speech Discrimination Score?

2. One option is to mask the tinnitus by using hearing aids. Transtympanic steroids (dexmethasone) are of help in half the patients I treat. Tinnex (Carvoverine) is a newly launched treatment.

3. Has she has any previous treatment or medication? Has her eardrum been examined? How severe is her tinnitus on a scale of 1 to 10? Is it pulsatile (matching with the heartbeat)? Does she have any other co-existing disease including, anemia, thyroid problems,cervical spondylosis, nasal problems or history of head injury? Does she have any dizziness or vertigo?

There is no cure for tinnitus however in certain cases, it can be controlled.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.