Constant light period, on levothyroxine for thyroid & norimin contraceptive pill. Suggestion?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been on Levothyroxine for three weeks for underactive thyroid I have also been on Norimin contraceptive pill for 15 years with no issues, since starting the levo I have had a constant light period, I have never had breakthrough bleeding beofre on this pill.. Should I change my contraceptive pill? I am having great results from the Levo in terms of feeling better than I ever have, but the bleeding (almost a brown discharge type period) is annoying
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The light brown discharge is due to the now normal thyroid hormone levels. It is not due to the decreased efficacy of the pill.
The now relatively increased levels of thyroxine has produced its effect on uterine lining. You can safely continue taking Norimin as this spotting will subside on its own in next few days. There is nothing to be concerned about. Changing the contraceptive might further change your hormonal levels causing bleeding.
If the spotting continues for 2 weeks more then you need to consult your gynecologist for a stronger hormonal pill.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.