Concussion, nausea, drowsiness, dizziness, head pressure. Should I see a doctor?

Neurologist
Question
Last Friday, I fell straight onto the back of my head onto concrete. I believe I had a concussion. It's a week later and I feel symptoms of occasional nausea, extra drowsiness especially upon waking, dizziness, and pressure in my head. Should I see a doctor? I don't have insurance or any money to pay for a cat scan, and not sure what they can really do for this, so I havn't been. I have been going to as usual (bartender), and doing most things. I am more tired than usual and have persistent head pressure, and feelings of cloudiness. From what i've read i may just be having these symptoms for some time until they fade. But can you tell me if there is an indication i should pay attention to and see a doctor?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 3 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

Regarding the injury to the back of the head without loss of consciousness, I feel you may have had minor injuries to the brain along with the inner ear. I am saying it has minor because you did not have vomiting, loss of consciousness and seizures. So I personally feel you need to have a CAT scan to confirm the severity of the injury.

Regarding the dizziness which may due to inner ear problem a course of “tab. Cinnarizine” will benefit you. Cinnarizine is not available over the counter and needs a prescription from your doctor.

So the bottom line is that you need to XXXXXXX your physician and arrange for CAT scan of the brain and get started on the medications.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,
Dr Shiva Kumar R

Follow-up: Concussion, nausea, drowsiness, dizziness, head pressure. Should I see a doctor? 5 hours later
i was alone when this happened, so i don't know if i was actually unconscious or not, but i feel like i had a period of amnesia before and after the fall. I am mostly concerned with the pressure i feel in my head. i don't mean a headache. Will this go away on it's own, or could it potentially increase?

I understand that a CAT will clarify the severity, but what exactly will it show me? I have no health insurance and make little money so i'm trying to avoid that if possible since i cannot afford it. What would a CAT scan reveal? I understand that nothing can replace seeing a doctor in person, but I am asking on here because I want to know if this is absolutely necessary.

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 10 hours later

Thanks for getting back to me. The presence of amnesia indicates injury to the brain. Injury can be either in the form of concussion or a bleed in the brain. CAT (Computerized Tomography) scan will clarify if it is a bleed or concussion. It also tells us if there is fracture to the skull bone as well as the inner ear. It is only for diagnostic purpose and prognosis.

So I personally feel it is NOT a must for you to do the CAT scan. However, if your symptoms persist or increase I would prefer one in the future.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Wish you Good Health.

Sincerely,
Dr Shiva Kumar R