Complaining of lump in hip bone. No pain. Lump looks bruised. What could it be?

My daughter (19) has been complaining of a lump on her right hip bone, toward the front. I felt it and it feels somewhat fatty, somewhat like a ligament. She says it's tender but not painful. This morning she woke to find a bruise where the knot is and she's worried. What could it be? No injuries, no trauma; no coag disorders or anticoag meds. Healthy teenager.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. David Okia 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
she could be having lipoma(fatty tissue collection

Detailed Answer:
Good evening
Your daughter should not worry
She most likely has lipoma (collection of fatty tissue) in that area.
Based on my experience with similar patients I would recommend scan of the lump and an x-ray of right hip bone just to rule out other conditions.
If these tests confirm lipoma, surgical excision can be done, its minor operation.
Hope I answered your question will be happy to help you, if you have other questions.