Chuild injured forehead. Had hematoma diagnosed post concussion syndrome. Bumps come out and feel very tired

Excellent

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
My daughter (6 yrs) suffered a major blow to the forehead as a result of a playground injury. she initially had a major 'goose egg' / hematoma. this occured over a year ago, and she has been diagnosed post concussion syndrome. My question is: this 'bump' comes out again when she is tired, does physical activity or is over stimulated.When the 'bump' comes out (same place of iniitial injury) she is very tired, and irritable. What could this be and what sort of doctor would be best to look at this?
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 1 hour later

Thanks for the question.

I understand your daughter had post concussion syndrome with scalp hematoma one year ago.

The recurring bumps to my knowledge is unlikely to be related to the old injury unless scans show some fractures of the skull. Presuming there was no fracture, please note the events especially that of repeated trauma before the appearance of such bumps.

If the aforementioned factors are not associated the bumps and irritability may not be related. You can consider consulting a neurosurgeon and get her evaluated. Other causes of irritability could be considered.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX XXXXXXX consultant neurosurgeon

Follow-up: Chuild injured forehead. Had hematoma diagnosed post concussion syndrome. Bumps come out and feel very tired 7 hours later
They did an X-ray of her skull which showed no fracture. She has had no injuries since. Should I push for a cat scan or MRI? A neurologist is the best option we have locally; would that help?
I'm mainly concerned about why a physical bump reemerges after physical activity
Thanks for your help

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 2 days later
Dear Sir
Hello & wishing you a speedy recovery to your daughter
It is good that skull x-ray has not shown any fracture.
I would still suggest you to go for CAT SCAN head in order to rule out any intracranial injury
If CT scan is also normal, then nothing much to worry about, as the recurrent bump may be secondary to local changes into scalp vasculature. It is harmless. With time, it may improve.
You may consult a neurologist for this.
Thanks
Sorry for the unavoidable delay due to emergency surgeries.