Chronic constipation, watery stools. Taken lubowell, microflox and laxopeg. Symptoms persisting. Permanent cure?

I have been diagnosed with IBS-C for last two years. i have chronic constipation .I pass stool once or twice a week and i feel incomplete sensation. My doctor suggetsed me to take vsl #3 ,colosparetard ,floc acids and lactifiber after clonoscopy is tested. I saw some difference in the in the early stages when i istarted taking this medicine and used to pass stoll regularly but with incomplete sensation. I mentioned to doctor things little better but passing stool inompletely .After my doctor suggested me microflox ct,folic acid,Laxo peg, Ganatone. Still i felt incomplete sensation and went to the doctor and he recommended to take lubowell 24 mg,vibact -ds,folic acid, laxopeg.Thing are ok when i started taking this medicine was able to pass stool regularly but incompletely. But for past one or two months i am unable to pass stool regularly . Even though i take atleast one litre of everyday before going to bathroom i am unable to pass stool.I am not able to pass my stool for one week . I am feeling uncomfortable in the stomach. I aslo do exercise but not regularly .I am not having any pain.Some times i was passing watery stools. Can you please suggest me what is the best medicine for me. What are the steps i should take care.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Banait 21 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

Irritable bowel syndrome is a chronic condition which requires prolonged lifestyle modifications and medications.

The main principle of treatment is to increase dietary fibers. This should be supplemented by isapgol or various marketed products in gradually increasing dosage starting from three teaspoons full daily to as much as tolerated or till adequate relief of symptoms.

Antispasmodics like Mebeverin should be reserved for period of excessive pain, as these drugs may eventually aggravate constipation. The dosage of fiber can be increased at defined period, say every week.

Too frequent change of medications may not be helpful and should be avoided.

The Peglec preparation can be taken on 'as and when required basis' for severe constipation or regularly if fibers are not helping.

Luboprostone is a new drug. It is better started if above measure fails. Please discuss regarding the same with your Gastroenterologist.

with best regards,

Dr Vaibhav Banait
MD, DNB(Medicine), DM(Gastroenterology)