Child with constipation and stool discoloration, stomach pain. Medication?

5yr old grandson was constipated and finally just had fluorescent XXXXXXX poop several hours after bending over with pain in fine now, but does not have bm on daily basis. This is the second time I have seen this in 2 weeks. He has trouble w constipation on a regular basis. Has not had XXXXXXX popscicles, kool-aid, etc
Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Positive reinforcement is the first step in giving children the desire to begin regulation of their bowels.

I advice you to give him plenty of fluids and juices, such as prune or XXXXXXX juice. A well-balanced meal consisting of whole XXXXXXX cereals, fruits, and vegetables (with less candy and dessert) also helps. For constipation it is good to consume diet which is XXXXXXX in fibers.

Advice him to sit on the toilet for at least 10 minutes. It is often easier for the child if the feet are on the floor or on a footstool.
XXXXXXX stool can occur due to a normal or benign condition and not be a cause for concern, like after consuming certain iron-rich foods or iron supplements, leafy XXXXXXX vegetables.

I advice you to keep watch on his stool and if he is continuously passing XXXXXXX stool, consult the child specialist for examination and to find the cause.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer