Child swallowed plastic button accidentally. What should I do?
User rating for this question
Myself 33 yr. old female from India. My 3 yr old girl child swallowed a small rounded plastic button, smaller then a 50 paisa coin. It happened an hr ago. I am worried what to do ?
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hope it will pass in stools, if no symptoms. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX Kindly do not panic, if you are sure the foreign body is of plastic type , a small one and without any sharp objects you need not do anything, except to watch her stools whether the baby passes it in her stools or not. I presume your baby is not having any complaints like respiratory difficulty or any pain abdomen. Kindly get evaluated by a pediatrician if the baby develops any symptoms. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!
Follow-up: Child swallowed plastic button accidentally. What should I do? 12 hours later
Yes doctor you are right. She is alright presently and behaving normally, eating food etc. I will check her stool. How many days should i wait for it to come out from stool? And in case i do-not find it in her stool then what should i do? Plz. suggest.
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 8 hours later
Brief Answer: wait for 4 to 5 days. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, I apologize for the late response; I was away from my computer due to unavoidable reasons. Coming back to your question, kindly wait for 4 to 5 days and see if it passes in the stools. Even if you do not find it in stools, kindly do not be tensed. You need to worry if the baby has any complaints of pain abdomen, fever, bleeding per rectum, vomiting or local tenderness. After considerable time (say 4 days) if you still do not find the foreign body you need to take your baby to a doctor. They will examine and may even advise CT scan (as x-ray won't visualize plastic materials) depending on the case. If the foreign body is still in the abdomen, then it can be retrieved by Endoscopy. If the object remains in any region of the lower GI tract for more than 7 days or if the patient develops signs or symptoms of perforation or obstruction, the foreign body should be removed surgically. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!
Follow-up: Child swallowed plastic button accidentally. What should I do? 57 minutes later
thank you doctor for your suggestion.
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you, all the best. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, YOU ARE WELCOME MADAM. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!
People also viewed
- Why do cough up mucus after anesthesia
- Infant cough after anesthesia
- Child swallowed to axanax what should i do
- Child accidentally swallow plastic material
- Child swallowed plastic button accidentally what should i do
- Teary eye after anesthesia
- Duodenal bulb erosion causes
- What should be done after swallowing plastic accidentally
- Iv methamphetamine use and severe abdominal pain
- The bottom of my stomach hurts really bad and im constipated
- When i lay on my stomach, i hear whooshing noise
- Have accidentally swallowed small piece of plastic what to do
- How long does a low grade fever lasts after ovulation
- Still feel high 4 days after anesthesia
- Heightened smell after anesthesia