Child suffering from dengue and have itching on palms and feet. Unable to sleep and rest. Suggest?

My son is 6 yr old and is suffering from is 6th day and he is complaining itching continues on palm n feet. He is unable to sleep and rest.please guide me what to do to control his itching..
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mild anti histamin tablets will help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mrs. XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your question.

It is uncommon to develop itching in dengue, the probable cause could be some allergy to medicines your son is being given.

To reduce itching temporarily, you can give him a mild antihistamin medicine, but since most of the antihistamins cause drowsiness you will need a prescription to get one.

You can also apply lactocalamine lotion if you have it at home.

It would help me greatly if you could tell me a few things about this problem, like,

1. Is there any rash on the areas where your sun has itching?
2. Does your son have running nose?
3. Is your son admitted in a hospital?
4. What is the platelet count at present?
5. What are the medicines your son is currently on?
6. Have you noticed any particular medicine that makes this itching more?

Please do write back with answers so that I can guide you better.

The next thing you can do, is to take your son to the nearest hospital and admit him, if he is not already in a hospital.

Consult his pediatrician in the morning for a prescription and for physical examination to see what is the cause for itching.

I hope I have answered your question. Please write back with answers.

Awaiting response.

Warm regards.
Follow-up: Child suffering from dengue and have itching on palms and feet. Unable to sleep and rest. Suggest? 3 hours later
His platelet count is 157.0 as per todays report and doctor consulted said its nothing to worry rite now by watching todays report .he has not been prescribed any medicine as such for dengue except zincovit syrup which is a multivitamin. There is no rash on his body. I have applied lactocalamine lotion but he is cont. Itching his palm n feet.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Platelet counts are fine.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mrs. XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back.

You can stop the zincovit till this itching subsides, there maybe some excepients(preservatives) that maybe causing some allergy.

Platelet counts are fine now, but you must consider repeating it daily till you see a rising trend.

Later in the day you can take your child to his treating doctor for a prescription for the appropriate medicines.

For now you can try dipping your son's hand and feet in slightly warm water, that will give some relief.

It will be difficult to guess what the cause is without looking at his hands and feet so I am sorry I can not help you any more than this at this time without the opportunity to examine your son.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.

Warm regards,