Child started passing pale frothy motions. Required treatment?

My baby has pale frothy poop, kind of looks like cottage cheese. It started 5 days ago after his rotavirus
Posted Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

You have mentioned that your child had constipation and now is passing pale frothy motions. Kindly let us know the number of times he is passing motion. If it is 4-5 times in 24 hours then I will not worry about it as some children have more frequency following constipation.

Rotavirus vaccination does not, usually, cause diarrhoea.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications or to share more facts of the case.

Wishing your son all the best.

Follow-up: Child started passing pale frothy motions. Required treatment? 1 hour later
Thank you for the response. It is only one to two times a day but the volume is a lot. And the last two times i changed him, he was not finished and shot out a great amount of water several inches past the changing table and it had white chunks in it that looked like cottage cheese curds. He has several different types of bowel movements in his little 4 months but this is just the strangest.
I hope i have provided enough information.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 21 minutes later

Thank you for the update. In my opinion you need not worry. This will settle down in the next day or two.

Normal stools of a breast fed baby is slightly watery with golden yellow chunks that you have described. However in top fed babies, as in your child's case, the stools are whitish in colour which explains the "cottage cheese curds". As the constipated stools have been evacuated your child is passing normal stools and the watery element will settle down.

I hope I have provided you with the appropriate response to your queries.

Wishing your son all the best.