Child passing stools frequently. Given mughli ghutti. Passing watery stool and gas. Is it fine?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my 2.5 mont old baby was passing stool in 4-6 days we gave him mughli ghutti 555. now he is passing stool 4-5 times in a day and somtime only water/liqued while passing gas. Is it fine
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 48 minutes later
The number of motions varies from child to child some may not poop for 4-5 days and some may pass 4-5 stools per day during the first three months of life.
However if the consistency of stools is very watery or liquid then there is a risk of the infant getting dehydrated. Mughli ghutti 555 is an Ayurvedic preparation for digestive problems of infants but it's best to take it only after your doctor has advised it for your child and in the recommended dosage .
As of now it's best to withhold it to watch for resolution of the normal stool pattern . If the baby has persistent constipation your doctor might prescribe other digestive medicines like neopeptine drops etc whose effects can be dose adjusted .
Constipation in young infants often resolves with age especially after 6 months of age when other solids are introduced.
So please don't worry.
In case after stopping the ghutti for a week baby still has watery motions then kindly get your child evaluated by your pediatrician to rule out a infection ( gastroenteritis ).
As of now it does seem to be due to the ghutti and not very worrisome .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.