Child on medication for cold and cough. Not cured. Safe to give seroflo inhaler?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My son is 2.5 years old and frequently gets cold and cough. He ends up taking cough medication (Bricanyl/Asthalin/Ventorlin etc) as well as Allegra syrup for the cold frequently. Sometimes in case of severe cold & cough accompanied with fever he ends up taking antibiotics (Augmentin DDS, Refzil O etc) too. Our pediatrician has suggested that we start him on Seroflo Inhaler (125 mcg) to be taken twice a day (one inhalation each). The inhalation is to be taken through the Huf Puf mask from Cipla which is to be kept on the face for about 60 seconds after releasing the spray. The doctor has said that the amount of steroids my son ends up taking through frequent intakes of cold/cough syrups is much higher and by taking the inhaler there will be a much lower dosage intake and higher efficacy. He has suggested that we put him on the Seroflo inhaler initially for 3 months.
When I read the Seroflo leaflet the manufacturer (Cipla) has said that it is not recommended for kids below 4 years. I checked with my pediatrician and he said that it is harmless and better for my kid than taking frequent cough medications and Seroflo inhaler is prescribed to infants too. He reassured me that there is nothing to worry in starting with Seroflo.
I want a second opinion as to whether it is safe to start my son on Seroflo inhaler and whether it can have any negative impact on his growth or any other side effects.
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Your pediatrician has rightfully suggested you inhaled corticosteroids, which is the drug of choice for your kid’s condition.

Hope your pediatrician would have done mantoux test and Chest X-ray (It is important that these tests are negative) before starting inhalers. If not done, I would suggest you to get these tests done as soon as possible.

The inhaler you are giving currently is absolutely safe for kids/infants. The dose prescribed is within the range. Usually we start with 50 strength and go up to 125. However, some pediatricians recommend 125 initially and then go down to 50 once good control has been established.
The side effects are absolutely minimal if supervised. Please have a regular follow-up with your doctor to get the right dose prescribed. DO not discontinue on your own, stopping this medicine needs a planned protocol and slow tapering.

Do ask for allergy tests, which are available nowadays to identify the cause.

Wishing your kid good health