Child is overweight. Stomach looks like pregnant. Taking miralax. How to lose weight?

Sep 2012

My child is 7. She is very active and walks at least 30 min a day to keep her weight down. She is 4'2 and 83 lbs. We have her on a very low calorie, low fat diet and still has not lost any weight. Her stomach looks like she is pregnant. Everything else is porportioned on her body except her stomach. She takes Miralax everyday so she can go the bathroom otherwise she won't at all. She has lots of allergies and everythig food wise she is allergic to we stay away from. Test showed gluten is ok but we just started gluten free to see if that would help but nothing yet. Endocronogist did tons of blood work and everything is fine. Going to GI dr. next week. Any suggetions or thougths would be so appreciated. Thanks!
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Thank you for posting a query.

First off all, she is overweight for her age group. You are telling that her stomach is like a pregnant woman. It can be due to many cause. But in her case, I think it is a type of built caused by her overweight. But, some other disease condition like any bony abnormality (lumber lordosis) should be excluded first. For this, a simple X-ray of lumber region is enough. As, all the hormonal assessments gave normal result, I think she has no disease condition.

Secondly, you are doing a mistake. She is in her growing age group. She needs different types of micro and micronutrients. Some of them are fat soluble (A, D, E, K) and are very much important for our body to perform normally. If she is taking fat free diet, she may develop deficiency of these very important agents. This may result in very critical disease condition. So, you should give her at least some dietary supplements containing vitamins like A, D, E, K.

She has constipation. Most important thing in this condition is giving her a high fiber diet. I mean to say about the XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and other high fiber foods. If required, give her some warm water in morning. It will initiate a bowel movement.

Lastly, yes, you should consult with her doctor as per appointment. You can also consult about my points.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Child is overweight. Stomach looks like pregnant. Taking miralax. How to lose weight? 4 minutes later
Yes we had the xray done for the bone growth and it came back ok. What do we do for the overweight? She walks everyday and has started running as a family activity with me. Do I just keep her active and feed her a well balanced diet?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 13 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

Look, as she has no bony abnormality, then there is no problem.

In her age group, you should continue the physical activity. I think that will be enough. And, right now, you do not have any other option. Because, no anti-cellulite or anti - obesity drug can be prescribed for her. So, physical activity is the only way for reduction of body weight..

But, you should give her a balanced nutritious diet. That is very important for her physical and mental development.

Lastly, just keep her active, and give her a balanced and nutritious diet.

Hope you have your answers.