Child is asthmatic and having stomach ache and feeling nausea. Concerned

My 7 year old grand daughter has been complaining of stomach pain and more recently, nausea. She has a good appetite and healthy diet. She is an asthmatic and full bloods came up clear. Her mother suffers from GERD and is convinced it is not this.
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 2 hours later
Hello there,

GERD presents more commonly with pain in the middle of the chest, frequently described as heart burn by older children and adults. Your daughter may not be able to describe it correctly but will certainly localize it with her finger pointing towards her chest at the base of her bony cage. Do keep in mind that this pain or discomfort is persistent and is not compatible with a good appetite as you mentioned. It frequently causes nausea and vomiting and your daughter would complain of the appearance of liquid of unpleasant taste in her mouth on most occasions.

It is long standing GERD that can be associated with Asthma as certain nerves get stimulated which cause coughing. If your child has been otherwise fine all this while and recently developed stomach pain and nausea, it may not have any association with asthma. So I support her mother’s opinion too that it is not GERD.

Uncontrolled asthma can result in persistent cough that subsequently causes musculoskeletal pain which your daughter might describe as "stomach pain".

Please ask your daughter if she has been taking food from her school canteen of late or has been eating tiffin outside. It could be mild gastritis which has resulted in acidity. Always keep in mind the possibility of symptoms are very vague and diverse and is often diagnosed late.

If the stomach pain persists, kindly review your child with a Pediatric Gastroenterologist.

I hope I have answered your doubts.
Please do not hesitate to revert back to me for any further queries.