Child has voice arrest. Had fever. Prescribed Allegra and Montair. Should Augmentin be given?

ENT Specialist
Hello Doctor, My son 22 months old has fever with voice arrest for the past 2 days, fever is under control but voice is still not fine, doctor has prescribed Allegra & Montair LC Kid along with Corex DX on 25th on further follow up he also advised Augmentin DDS, there is marginal improvement in voice correction, kindly advice wheather to go ahead with Augmentin or not, his weight is 16 Kg.
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 25 hours later

Thanks for the query

After going through the history I do feel your child could be suffering from both an upper and lower due to which he had hoarseness.

This usually happens when there is swelling of the vocal cords or epiglottis following infection. Do not worry! This will usually settle with appropriate medications.

I am skeptical about using antihistaminic in children until they have allergy related problems, such as sneezing, running nose and nasal congestion. If the child is having nasal problems then you can use either montek LC or allegra, but not both. This is because Montek LC contains Levocetrizine which is an antihistaminic and Allegra is also an antihistaminic. If you are using two antihistaminics at the same time along with Corex DX syrup, then the child’s problems will worsen, as it causes more dryness of nose and throat and thus worsening of the voice problems.

My advice to you is to continue with Augmentin, use saline nasal spray 3-4 times a day (to keep the mucosa of the throat and nose moist), and give plenty of warm water for the child to drink (to maintain hydration). Use Allegra or Montek LC only if the nasal symptoms are present. With the above measures your child should improve.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon