Child has red spot on thigh, swollen, redness. Not vaccinated in the area. Any comments?

Jul 2012

My liitle boy of 15 months has a small red spot on his upper thigh since 3 months. From the past two days it has swelled up and "reddened" does not seem infected at all or bothers the child in any way. It is very round in shape and smooth and about 1/3 the size of a small pea. I could say that it looks also a bit like a very red small cyst. his started off around 3 months ago appearing spontainously. It initally was a small bump hving ths color os the skin - Occassionaly it would turn red then revert back to the skin color. Since the past two days it suddenly turend red and has swelled up to this size.
I would like to stress that this is not an area where he has been vaccinated. Any comments would be most welcome. Thank you in advance.
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 57 minutes later
Hi there. I have gone through your query & viewed the photographs submitted. At the outset, i wish to reassure you that you have Nothing to worry about. It is a minor skin vascular growth of the capillaries stimulated by some minor trauma (eg mosquito bite) that the skin has 'reacted' to or it may have arisen denovo. Please do make an appointment with your dermatologist or surgeon & it is easily removed under local anaesthesia (usually a cream called EMLA). It is an outpatient office procedure & depending on the physicians comfort levels, expertise & availablity of equipment, one of either cryotherapy (cold), Electrotherapy (heat) or Lasers may be used to help remove this tiny 'growth'.
Dont worry, it will be treated before you can say abracababra !!
I do hope i have been lucid, candid & reassured you of the condition & you understand it is easily remedied & your son's skin will be back to normal in a jiffy!!
I do understand it is not at a vaccination site.
Please feel free to close the query if you are convinced & have fixed your dermatologist's appointment. We would appreciate a feedback & a shout to let us know all is well!!
Here's wishing your little son all the very best & he will soon be back to a blemish-free skin. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD Dermatologist & Cosmetologist, XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore
Follow-up: Child has red spot on thigh, swollen, redness. Not vaccinated in the area. Any comments? 24 hours later

Thank you for your reply. I did get asecond opinion and I was told it is "Molluscum Contagiousum". I was advised to get it cutured or I couldums wait until it disappears (although there exists a risk that it might spread). Further I was told that "Freezing" it with Nitrogen is not an option and Laser or Surgical cuturing would be the only solution.

My question to you is - Do you agree with the possibility that this is a case of "Molluscum Contagiousum"? What would the best procedure to have it surgically removed? Freezing it? We were also told that it is more than likely to have some more "bumps" appearin the future!??

Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 3 hours later
Hi there again. The classical description of molluscum contagiosum (you could google for photographs) is 'pearly white'. It is a viral infection containing molluscum bodies. If one pricks the lesion with a needle (here i talk about the not do it at home), the contents will not have blood (simple to differentiate a hemangiomatous lesion from a molluscum). Having said all this, it is all 'semantics' from your view point. What you desire is to be 'rid' of the lesion in as safe & aesthetically a way as possible. I disagree with freezing 'Not' being an option. It depends on the practitioner as i stated earlier (what he/she is comfortable & competent using). Lasers are a more 'expensive' way of doing the same thing. A simple cheap & effective way that i would treat such lesions (if it is a molluscum) is to surgically 'express' out all the contents using a 27G needle to puncture the lesion & a non-toothed, non-serrated forceps to hold the lesion & express it out in toto. I may or may not use a mild TCA (trichloroacetic 10%) solution to chemically cauterise the base to prevent any recurrence depending on a case to case basis. But Yes, I would get it removed every single time in a child if it were molluscum not because it is XXXXXXX but because i am not a great fan of the 'watch & wait for it to disappear theory' as far too often i have seen it spread to other siblings or increase in number. It is a simple & safe procedure whatever method you may choose to go with & it is minor & painless. I hope i have been clear & this was helpful & your queries have been answered. What i meant by semantics is that 'whatever' the lesion, it is best to have it removed. Lasers are one efffective mechanism of doing the same.. Cheers & am sure you are in good could always get a second opinion on the ground..there is no 'urgency' but do get it 'off' & dont wait for divine intervention to work ;-) If this is lucid & you are satisfied, please do close the discussion & please do find the time to 'rate' us & render your valuable feedback. Here's wishing your baby all the best for a 'painless' procedure & back to baby-skin! Cheers!!