Child has hard lump on elbow. X-ray normal. Suspected for cyst. What is this and required cure?

My 7 year old has a lump on te side of her elbow it feels bony hard and does not move. I had her ped do an x XXXXXXX he said it was normal. Hat was 2 months ago. I noticed today it was still there and called to see what her ped thought. He said it may be a cyst? But never had a radiologist read X-ray. I took her today to have it redone and a different dr said it does not look concerning and maybe a cyst it looked like griddy white small longular mass on side of the bone. I think that's what she was pointing to.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Based on your description, I suspect the lump to be a bony callous which is not a matter of concern as it does not cause any complications. Such bony outgrowths are usually not associated with any pain or fever.

A bony cyst is usually associated either with infections or any inflammation secondary to some cause. Such cysts are commonly associated with pain and tenderness at the site and also long standing fever with chills.

Kindly do attach the scanned copies of the Xray and other tests he got done, which helps me to be specific in my opinion.

You can attach it here on the right side of this page or email it to

with subject line as "Attention Dr Raju"

Waiting for your response,
Follow-up: Child has hard lump on elbow. X-ray normal. Suspected for cyst. What is this and required cure? 6 minutes later
Thank you ! I will get a copy of the x XXXXXXX tomorrow and attach ... Thank you or your answer.
So the white area she pointed out on the x XXXXXXX is normal. Why did they keep saying its a cut? I didn't think it was at all. Like you said it feels like its apart of the bone.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 26 minutes later

Until the xray findings are observed the nature and type of the lump is difficult to be determined. I believe that could be the reason for the multiple opinions.

Waiting for the report.