Child had fever. Noticed red pin like dots in cluster on arm. What is going on?

Feb 2013

I just noticed on my 2 year old daughter's arm a few clustered red pin like dots (flat..almost like under the skin). They are not itchy or bother here. She has no other symptoms. Two weeks ago she had very high fevers for about 5 days. She was at the doctor and treated and has been fine. What could the spots be?
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later
Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.
The red pin like dots in cluster on your daughter's arm may be due to :
1. Small capillary blood vessels rupture leading to pin point hemorrhages under the
skin- which are called 'petechiae'. The petechiae are seen in some viral fevers and
vitamine deficiencies like vitamin C.
2. Insect bites like mosquitos which cause pin point red spots below the skin.
3. Some times minimal trauma leading to mild bruising with red spots.
But physical examination by a doctor or atleast examination of the clinical photographs of the skin lesions is important to diagnose the skin condition.
If the child is otherwise healthy and active at present, no other symptoms nothing to worry and the skin lesions will fade within 2 to 3 days.
If they are persisting, or increasing in number, or the child is having any other symptoms you can consult a Pediatrician for the examination of the skin lesions and their treatment.
Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please feel free to get back and furnishing the pictures of the skin rash may give more insight in to the skin condition.