Child got head injury and feeling sleepy. Should I be worried?

my son fell off the bed and i tried to keep him awake but hes so sleepy. i saw on a website that if his pupils dilate with light after a fall like that then he's probably fine... i tested the theory and his pupils dilated so should i be worried or is that old wives tale?
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query
To rule out head injury there are few symptoms which we have to notice. Pupil reaction to light is one of them (Pupil constrict not dilate when torch light fall) and it not completely rule out the head injury. Other symptoms are:
1. Loss of unconsciousness after injury
2. Ear, Nose, Throat bleeding
3. Drowsiness
4. Nausea or vomiting
5. Persistent headache
6. Difficulty in balancing the body
7. Loss of memory

Your child is little sleepy/drowsy so in my opinion you have to go to emergency and consult your doctor and if needed can do CT head. It is better to be at the safer side in head injury. The sleepy behavior can be due to fear or shock of injury or due to head confusion. You have to prove it by clinical examination or CT head.

Hope I have answered your query. Write back if you have any doubt in your mind. I will be happy to help you.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh