Child drinking whole cow's milk, hard stools, vomit looks clumpy and smells bad. What is wrong?

My daughter is a little over a year old she's been on whole cows milk for almost two months now..but she starting to have hard stools 3-4 times a day n she's been vomiting up milk that looks spoiled and clumpy and it smells very bad... ive finally got her to start eating after abot a day or two of just eating a bit of food here and there...what's wrong with her is it the milk?
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 23 minutes later
Thanks for using the XXXXXXX I am happy to address your questions, she could be allergic to cow's milk. You could switch to soy milk and gradually add dairy back into her diet later. It could also be a reflux. There is great variation in a child's bowel habit, dependent on their age and what they are fed. Passing stools less often than normal. Generally, this is less than three complete (proper) stools per week. Stools that are hard, and perhaps very large, or pellet-like . Constipation can cause tummy ache (abdominal pain), poor appetite, general malaise, behavioural changes, such as being more irritable or unhappy, fidgeting, restlessness and other signs that the child needs to go to the toilet. Worrying symptoms that may indicate a secondary cause include vomiting. But if she is tolerating the food (try giving her fibres to help reduce constipation) and not vomiting and no additional signs of pain or infection, there is probably no reason to worry and you can try as mentioned above. If you are at all concerned, you could also get her examined with your clinician to help put your mind at ease. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Thanks
Follow-up: Child drinking whole cow's milk, hard stools, vomit looks clumpy and smells bad. What is wrong? 22 hours later
Dr XXXXXXX ....I followed up wit my daughters pcp n she said pretty much the same thing you suggested she also said for her constipation try pedialax or prune juicebut she's fine and not dehydrated..and we also thought it would be better to try her on lactaid whole milk and she's taking to that milk a whole lot better and she said jus make sure I try other forms of getting her calcium such as yogurt..etc....but I THANK YOU very much so..and so does my lil one :)
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 53 minutes later
You are welcome, if you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health to you and your family.