Child diagnosed with ADHD, was on Ritalin but less effective and changed to Concerta. Suggest?

Hi,our 13 year old son ( 66 kg and 158cm ) has been diagnosed with ADHD about 2 years ago,for 12 month he was taking Ritalin SR 40mg but we felt we reached a point of less effectiveness , ESP. Afternoons.He is doing well so,grades are good and he has no side effects.We had a specialist appointment yesterday , and his medication was changed to Concerta 54mg extended release.I feel slight concern about dose and side effects and would appreciate a feedback
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in ADHD
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 50 minutes later
Brief with other drugs,this can also cause side effects.
Detailed answer...
CONCERTA ER is a central nervous stimulant drug ( METHYLPHENIDATE ) and this ER preparation is a controlled release tablet which is given once a day.
It can have allergic reactions likeĀ 
Hives,swelling of lips,tongue,face etc,fast heart rate,difficulty breathing,fever,sore throat,hallucinations,restlessness,aggression,bruising etc.
This is a long list of side effects but it doesn't mean that every person using this drug will have it.However if you experience any of above mentioned side effects,go to ER immediately.
I assure you not to worry as these side effects are not common.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Child diagnosed with ADHD, was on Ritalin but less effective and changed to Concerta. Suggest? 12 minutes later
I especially wanted to know the convention dose from Ritalin 40mg to Concerta 54mg for my sons height and weight,seems appropriate or not?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
CONCERTA ER is a longer acting version of RITALIN.
The conversion of dose from RITALIN to CONCERTA ER is that CONCERTA ER is appox. 1.5 times of the dose of RITALIN.
Since your son was using 40 mg of RITALIN,the effective dose of CONCERTA ER to be given is ideally 60 mg.
Your doctor is absolutely right in prescribing 54 mg of CONCERTA ER.
I hope it is clear to you now.