Cervical biopsy done, precancerous cells present, virus warts. Pap test done. What can be the reason for virus?

Hi I went to get the results of a cervical biopsy I had 3months ago and the Gynocologist said that I had pre-cancerous cells present and also warts virus present , I have been with my husband for 7 yrs now and have had pap tests every yr as I have had pre-cancerous cells befor I was just wondering how is it that this has never shown up befor I am a Enrolled nurse so I understand that viruses can lay dorment in the body system but I have never seen or felt a wart out break befor is it possible to have the virus and never have had a outbreak and if so why has it all of a sudden shown up on my biopsy as the Gyno stated that he had not seen any visable warts
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
From the information you have submitted I will try to provide you with some good information and reassurance. Human papilloma virus is very common in the population. Some estimates place the prevalence of genital warts at 20 to 30% of the population sometimes even higher depending on location.

The virus is transmitted sexually. In order to transmit the virus one does not necessarily need to have any symptoms or any warts. The virus simply lives on and under the skin.
It lives dormant in our body for years without showing any symptoms. In case of minor infection, there are no visible warts. The cervical biopsy is the only confirmatory test to detect the infection and abnormal cancerous cells.

It is good that your abnormal cells have been detected at a very early stage and it can be cured fully with medicines and minor procedures.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Cervical biopsy done, precancerous cells present, virus warts. Pap test done. What can be the reason for virus? 10 hours later
thank you very much for your answer I also wanted to know how to get rid out iit I have had a leep procedure 3 months ago but my Gynocoligist stated that there is no medication to get rid of HPV is this true? and also I m not sure if it is the cancer causing tyoe does this cause carvical cancer to grow quicker or be more agressive? I m quite scared that Im going to get cervical cancer from this :-(
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Presence of precncerous cells and HPV infecion increase your risk of having a cervical cancer. However it does not affect the disease progression or the severity.
Your gynecologist is right in pointing out that there is no specific medicine to eradicate the viral infection. The best way out is vaccination against the HPviral infection.
Cervical Loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP) or Cryotherapy may be needed.
Hope my answer is helpful.Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.