Cause and Treatment for Molluscum Contagiosum

I was recently diagnosed with molluscum contagiosum around my pubic area. I have about 4 small, painless flesh colored/pink bumps in my pubic hair region and two much smaller bumps on the shaft of my penis. I'm wondering how I got them? I've been in a monogamous sexual relationship for over a year and I don't want to assume that my partner has been with anyone else, nor do I want her to assume that I've been with anyone else. I was also tested yesterday for several STDs. (I don't know which, but I told them to test for everything they could and they took a urine sample and three blood samples.)

I'm an elementary school teacher, and I know this is common in children, but could that explain the bumps? It wouldn't make sense for them to be in my pubic region though. Although, I'm not always as good about using hand sanitizer during the day with them as I should, so I could have gone to the bathroom after working with kids all morning. I also have a public pool and hot tub at my apartment complex, but haven't used them for several months. I've also read that people with a history of eczema are more susceptible to the virus. Is this true? Because I have a history of eczema on my penis, even before I became sexually active.

Lastly, where should I proceed from here? The nurse practitioner said it takes 6-9 months for the bumps to go away and I should avoid skin to skin contact. Since most of the bumps are in my pubic region, condoms won't cover them, so should I abstain from sex with my girlfriend for up to 9 months? Should I look into having them frozen off?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 6 hours later

Molluscum contagiosum is a viral infection by virus mollusum contagiosum virus.

It can spread by sexual as well as casual skin to skin contact.

I assume that you tested negative for all other STDs including HIV.

In case like that of yours Molluscum contagiosum can be treated by
either cryotherapy with liquid nitrogen.
A liquid nitrogen gas will be applied on the lesions weekly for 6 -8 weeks or till the lesions resolve.Usually 8 sittings are sufficient.

A trained dermatologist can manually remove the lesions by needle followed by application of TCA. This is known as chemical cauterization.
Advantage is that in single sitting all lesions can be treated .

Alternatively RF cautery can be done over lesions.

Topical treatments like cantheridine ,Imiquimod, Cidofovir are available but I wont recommend them as they are time taking and long follow up is required.

Best option in your case would be RF cautery or cryotherapy.
Avoid sexual contact till the lesions resolve.

Hope Ive answered your query.

I will be available for any followup questions.

If you dont have any follow up questions please accept my answer.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Dr Sudarshan