Can you tell me what tests I should expect as an outpatient to identify asthma? Had chest infection and chest tightness

Can you tell me what tests I should expect as an outpatient in respect of identifying whether I suffer from asthma or not ? I have been treated for this condition for some time now but there is now a question about whether the treatment is still helping or in fact hindering me. I know it has helped when I have had a chest infection and when in the past I have forgotten to use the inhalers over along period of time and my chest has become tight.
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rudramani Swami 1 hour later

Diagnosis of asthma depends upon certain clinical history, findings on clinical examination and investigations like pulmonary function test.

If you childhood history of recurrent cold, allergy then it goes more in favour of asthma. Upon clinical examination doctor will notice spasm of airway. Wheeze is present sometimes. The doctor can order pulmonary function test to show reversibility of bronchoconstriction after bronchodilator inhalation.

The aforementioned parameters help a clinician diagnose bronchial asthma.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for further queries if any.