Should I switch to any other inhaler apart from Seroflow for asthma? Would you recommend a nose operation to broaden the air passage?

ENT Specialist
Hi Doc. I am using Seroflow 250 rotainhaler for my Ashtma on frequent basis. My general praticioner tells me that my nose's inner bone / cartilige has over grown and that if i opt for operation, it will have lasting impact on my breathing as well as Asthma. Should i switch to any other inhaler as i have to regularly use the inhaler every 2 days? Further would you recommend a nose operation to broaden the air passage for any positive impact.
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Most likely will not improve the asthma Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Seroflo rotahaler is used for allergic bronchitis and asthma. The underlying problem in asthma is also allergy. The ingredients of the inhaler help in better dilatation of the respiratory passages in the lungs and thus better exchange of oxygen. There is no surgical treatment which corrects allergy. What your GP is saying is that there is deviated nasal septum (DNS) and that correcting it will help you in better breathing and will also help in asthma. Correction of DNS does help in correcting obstruction of nose if one is having obstructive symptoms. You have not stated so in your history. So, incidental finding of DNS without any obstructive symptoms will not give you any appreciable improvement in anything. As far as getting better of asthma with DNS surgery, it is very difficult to predict so any most of the patients of asthma do not improve with surgery until and unless one is having appreciable nasal obstructive symptoms. Why you want to switch inhaler if it is giving you improvement when you use. Whichever inhaler you will shift on, you will be required to use it frequently and regularly. If your symptoms are not improving even after use of inhaler, you should consult your doctor and if need be change the inhaler in consultation. Feel free to ask another query. Regards