Can very low testosterone cause elevated CPK levels?

Can long term very low testosterone cause elevated CPK levels?
I forgot to mention that I recently had bloodbwork which revealed very low testosterone levels

I entered the wrong email address when making payment but it had already processed. Please send response to YYYY@YYYY .
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 32 minutes later
To the best of my knowledge, low testosterone has not been reported to cause CPK elevations.
It seems you have had a comprehensive evaluation for the elevated CPK levels and I would like to believe that a blood test for TSH must have been done too. TSH is a simple inexpensive non-fasting blood test for checking thyroid function. Although typically TSH alone suffices, it is ideal to have a free T4 blood test also done to be reasonably sure that the thyroid function is normal.

Regarding very low testosterone levels, I would like to know the numerical value of the laboratory result. The blood test for checking testosterone levels can be tricky. Most importantly, the test needs to be performed in the morning hours between 7 am to 9 am. There is no need to fast for this. If done later in the day, testosterone levels tend to drop normally and one gets a false impression of low levels.

If truly the testosterone values are low ie Total testosterone less than 300 and (calculated) free testosterone less than 6.5 and if this is confirmed on a second occasion in a person who is not acutely ill, then it is worth embarking upon a systematic work-up for this condition called Hypogonadism. This includes, but is not limited to:
1 Blood tests for prolactin, FSH, LH, SHBG, cortisol, Iron studies
2 MRI pituitary if the FSH and LH are not high and Total testosterone is less than 150.

The above recommendation for assessment is not a rigid protocol and endocrinologist tailor the management approach to suit the individual circumstance.

For more information, please peruse WWW.WWWW.WW