Can playing tennis cause pain in the right side?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
PLAYED TENNIS TWO WEEKS AGO, HAVN'T PLAYED IN LIKE 15 YEARS ALTHOUGH I AM ACTIVE I RUN 2-3 MILES A DAY. BUT COUPLE DAYS AFTER PLAYING TENNIS I STARTED HAVING THIS BURNING PAIN GOING DOWN THE RIGHT SIDE OF ME THING AND SOMETIMES THE RIGHT KNEE CAP, LOWER RIGHT BACK WAS HURTING ALSO, I STOPPED EVERYTHING IT HAS IMPROVED BUT STILL CAN FEEL IT WHEN ON MY FEET FOR LONG PERIODS, HOW MUCH LONGER IS THIS GOING TO TAKE TO HEAL AND SHOULD I BE WORRIED I DID SOMETHING SERIOUS? I PLAYED FOR LIKE 1.5 HRS TENIS THAT DAY LOTS JUMPING RUNNIG COULD THIS HAVE BEEN WHAT CAUSED IT?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 4 hours later

Your body seems to hurt because of an unaccustomed task you did.

It will heal if you allow it to, by taking proper rest.

You may need to see your physician if it hurts the same in a couple of weeks.

It does not look serious since the pain is reducing, but as i said if it remains of the same, you may need to undergo few investigations like X- XXXXXXX of spine.

Meanwhile rest, hot water fomentation and applying topical pain killer ointment shall be helpful.

Avoid any form of workout, weight lifting, playing outdoor games, and running for a few days.

You may resume it once the pain has completely subsided, not before that.

Make sure that you warm up yourself before starting any game, this prevents fatigue and straining of muscles and spraining of ligaments.

You may have to pain killers for short duration till it subsides.

Hope this answers your question, do get back to us for follow up queries.

Thanks and Regards.