Can dry eye cause blurry vision along with halos seen around bright lights?

Question
Can dry eye cause blurry vision along with halos seen around bright lights? My eyes are VERY dry and have been for about a week, but the halo vision just started last night. How long before artificial tears should help? Thanks.
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, dry eyes do cause blurry vision. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for the query, Yes, dry eyes do cause blurry vision and halos. Artificial tears will help quite fast, so please use them very frequently. But most importantly, please do consult an eye doctor to make sure your eyes have not suffered any significant insult already. Hope this helps, please write back if you need further clarifications. regards

Follow-up: Can dry eye cause blurry vision along with halos seen around bright lights? 35 minutes later
I went to my eye doctor and he said my actual eye looked fine. How soon should I notices relief after using so normal saline drops? He said some of my tear ducts were "capped."

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: You should see the improvement within a few hours Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back, You should be able to feel the difference within a few hours of starting to use the artificial tears, however you should keep in mind that you need to put the artificial tears into your eyes very frequently, something like once every 5 to 10 minutes so as to keep the eyes wet all the time. It is good to know that there is no damage to your eyes. Please do continue using artificial tears, normal saline is fine, but methylcellulose artificial tears are superior. Hope this answers your concern. Regards

Follow-up: Can dry eye cause blurry vision along with halos seen around bright lights? 9 minutes later
Ive been using them all day with no improvement... Is this alarming?

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: It means the problem may not only be dry eyes. Detailed Answer: Hello again, If you see no improvement in blurred vision even after a full day's use, I would think about other causes for the problem. Halos might take a while to disappear, but blurred vision should have improved with the instillation of artificial tears. I suggest you speak to your eye doctor again and see what his/her opinion is. But don't stop the artificial tears. Regards,

Follow-up: Can dry eye cause blurry vision along with halos seen around bright lights? 16 minutes later
The blurry vision is better, but the halo vision has definitly continued... Give that a couple days? Thanks .

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, give it a couple of days, it will improve. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Yes, give it a couple of days and it will certainly improve. If the blurred vision is improving, I don't think you need to worry much. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Regards