Can an implanon located close to the artery cause numbness in left side of arm ?

Question
hi i'am 18 i'v had the implanon since january this year. my partner and i are planning to have another child so planning to get it removed .turns out isn't so easy been to 3 gps and they could not remove it my last gp tried by using a ultrasound and saw that the implanon is too close to my artery an began trying to remove it ,with no success of removing it i was told i had to see a surgeon ,my appointment is not until September.today i'v been feeling a numbness down the left side of my arm along a vein where the implanon is.what could it be and what should i do?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 42 minutes later

Thanks for the Query.

I Would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

Do you have,
1.) Weight gain?
2.) Abnormal vaginal bleeding?
3.) Sore breasts?

The numbness may be due to the Pressure caused by the Implanon over a nerve or it could be as a result of removal process.

If GPs are not able to remove it, you should be seeing a Surgeon at the earliest to avoid any further complications like Infection.

The surgeon will inject a local anesthetic in the arm beneath the implant and make a small incision in the skin. He/she will push the device toward the incision until it's tip is visible and the device can be pulled out with forceps. He/she will then close the incision and apply a bandage and prescribe antibiotics if there are signs of infection.

Kindly do not delay.

Hope I have answered your Query and this information helps. I will be available to answer your Follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health and Good Luck.

Take Care.