Can HIV be transmitted by person making food and accidentally had bleeding while making it?

Question
This question is in relation to how hiv is transmitted. Can hiv be transmitted if someone who makes chapattis (Indian food) accidentally bleeds on the actual dough which is used to make the food, the dough is mixed with water, then heated for consumption ? If I consume the chappati a day later, can hiv be transmitted this way if the person making the chappati had hiv??
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Prasad 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No....

Detailed Answer:

Though HIV is a XXXXXXX virus, it is a very friable organism. It cannot survive outside a human host. It is killed almost in a few minutes when exposed to environment outside human body.

Therefore, HIV cannot be transmitted through the described set of events.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need more information.

Follow-up: Can HIV be transmitted by person making food and accidentally had bleeding while making it? 5 minutes later
Thank you dr XXXXXXX Even if the person was bleeding heavily directly on the water which was mixed with the dough used to make the chappati and the person had hiv, could this not give the person consuming the food hiv? Does the virus die when exposed to heat ? Would it have died when the chappati was put on the heat oven ?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes....

Detailed Answer:
HIV virus does not survive for more than few minutes even with or without heat.

Even if the person is infected and bleeds heavily, all HIV virus has no capacity to survive and thrive there. You wouldn't be infected in this case.

Let me know if you need any more clarifications.
If all your questions are answered, please close this discussion.

Follow-up: Can HIV be transmitted by person making food and accidentally had bleeding while making it? 6 hours later
So the risk of transmission is zero ? No testing is required based in this scenario ?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes... No testing required...

Detailed Answer:

Yes, HIV transmission is zero in this instance. And therefore there is absolutely no need to undergo testing.

Let me know if you need clarification.

If all your questions are answered then please close this discussion.