Can Glycamet be used for Hirsutism and PCOS?

Hello doc, can Glycamet 500 mg once a day reduces hirsutism?
how effective is it for PCOS?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Radhika 3 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

Glycomet is mainly used to treat diabetes mellitus, gestational diabetes and PCOD

It lowers testosterone and glucose levels in the body which has been shown to reduce acne, hirsutism, abdominal obesity, amenorrhea etc.

Glycomet SR is the brand name of a medicine called metformin. Patients of PCOS (poly cystic ovarian disease) have resistance to the utilisation of insulin produced by the body; hence metformin is given to them.

It is found to be effective in treating PCOD. Normally, it is well tolerated and in very few people it can cause side effects like nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhoea, dizziness, sweating, rash and weakness.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Can Glycamet be used for Hirsutism and PCOS? 1 hour later
How much should be my ideal weight? my height is 5'3 and currently weigh 60 kgs..(hav fat aroud my waist)
should i go for Krimson 35 and what are its side effects as i am getting married in XXXXXXX .how will it affect in terms of pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Radhika 29 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

Your height is 5'3 and your weight is 60kg. Though your weight does not increase risk towards heart disease, a 10% weight loss is recommended by the experts to increase the chances of pregnancy, better glucose metabolism and regular menstrual cycle. Hence you can target 54 kg with balanced diet, regular exercise. I wish you do not take assistance from pills to reduce weight.

Krimson 35 contains cyproterone acetate 2 mg, ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg.It is mainly used to treat Hirsuitism, acne, as a contraceptive. So Krimson will definitely help in regularizing the periods and at the same time act a pill against pregnancy. Once the periods are regularized and predictable, your doctor will certainly like to review the medication to plan for pregnancy. Hence a thorough follow up is crucial.

The side effects of this drug will be alterations in hair pattern, skin reactions. Fatigue and lassitude, breathlessness, weight changes. It can also delay pregnancy to some extent when you take this medication. So you can discuss this with your Gynecologist.