Can Cymbalta be taken instead of Sertraline?

I take lithium and sertraline. I'm out of sertraline, and can't afford a doctor's appointment or a copay for a prescription. A friend gave me some cymbalta. Can I take that instead of the sertraline?
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, you can do that Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to HCM! From your description it is evident that you are on lithium and sertraline. Currently you donot have sertraline and you want to take Symbalta for that. Yes, if there is no other option available right now, you can take Symbalta instead of sertraline ( as taking nothing can lead to relapse). however, once you have the desired drug -- try to gradually shift from Symbalta back to sertraline, donot just stop one and start another. Wish you good luck! please feel free to ask more questions for clarification If you are satisfied, kindly rate the question and close the query Dr. Manisha Gopal MD psychiatry