C-section done. Started feeling headache and chest tightness. Is this due to epidural?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
Hi,my name is XXXXXX,I got a c-section on 9/17, with preclam, back to hospital on nosia,then left the hospital on the 20,then back to hospital on 23-25cuz high blood pressure, now all normal, but having headaches, it get better when I lay down, , is that cause by epidural?, and I also feel tight on my chest only when I lay down, is there any problem with me?
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 19 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
You have guessed it right. Your headaches are related to epidural and it is called "low pressure or post-spinal" headache.
In this condition, headache is more while being upright (sitting or standing position) and it reduces while lying down.
For reducing headaches, you should be lying on bed as much as possible and take plenty of fluids (water, juice, etc). It tends to subside in a few days to 1-2 weeks.
You need not worry about tightness of chest and headache as they would improve soon.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXX consultant neurologist

Follow-up: C-section done. Started feeling headache and chest tightness. Is this due to epidural? 16 minutes later
is there ayway to my my chest feel better when laying down? it help with my headache but my chest feel tight when laying down? and since i got preclamsia, am i XXXXXX be safe after 4-6weeks rest? orit will still danger whenever my blood pressure high?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 57 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.
For chest tightness, lying on sides may be useful.
You will most probably be well after 4-6 weeks rest.
Most often BP will be normal. Only in rare cases, high BP persists for long duration in cases of pre-eclampsia and eclampsia.
In summary, your problems are transient and you are not going to have any long-term symptoms.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: C-section done. Started feeling headache and chest tightness. Is this due to epidural? 14 minutes later
thank you doctor, and my last questio, i found that people said it onlinedrinking caffinecan help with headaches is that right?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Drinking coffee can help with headaches especially migraine, but I am not sure whether it will help in post-spinal headaches as in your case. However, you can give it a try.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: C-section done. Started feeling headache and chest tightness. Is this due to epidural? 13 hours later
do i have to keep taking motrin even tho my incision ot hurting? i have been coughing (ititchingsometime and have musplus) is that normal during recover)?
i feelsleepy all the time, everytime i try to sleep, i get waken by the itching throat, especially when im about to fall asleep, my head ad ear feel weird, (buring, empting,ori dont know how to decride) the doctor said cause by medicine, i cut back on medicine and it disappare, but then itcame back since last night, i told my ob and she said she doest know why, maybe jusy my feeling or hormone, i was on manesium for over24hours, and my ear feel sensetive, is that normal? is thereanywayto help with all these problem, im trying to sleep asmuch as i ca, everytimei la down andsleep fora lil bit, i feel very tired that dont even wana wake up, but i cat really fall asleep

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 hours later
These symptoms are common during recovery and would settle down soon.
In the meanwhile, ensure good sleep (about 7-8 hours per night) and good food.
You may check your hemoglobin and serum sodium (if not recently checked), as if they are low, you may feel tired and sleepy.
Hope it helps. Please get back for any follow-up queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: C-section done. Started feeling headache and chest tightness. Is this due to epidural? 21 minutes later
the problem is i cant barely sleep because my head just feel uncomforble, i cant sleep 6-7hours straight without waking up, is there anyway to help a lil so i can sleep better?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
You may get better sleep and less anxiety with a medication clonazepam. You may start it at a dose of 0.5 mg once daily at night. Since, it is a prescription drug, you may get it prescribed by your doctor.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: C-section done. Started feeling headache and chest tightness. Is this due to epidural? 10 hours later
ok, every doctors saying it differently, my ob said im fine, doesnt sure why im having these problem, just my hormone.. another oe sayingim still affect from magnesium, this and that, i should go check up, and here saying it is just normal , common problem during recovery, even when i called my doctor, she said as long as my blood pressure is nothigh, im fine, so .. humm.. confusing
ad my other question is , i need to remove the Steri Strips on my incision today, will my incision completely heal and close after i remove or it still can reopen? do i remove the strip?just pull it out?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
I can understand the confusion on account of different opinions from doctors. But one thing common is that all doctors feel there is no need to worry and that you would recover well.
Regarding the wound healing, it would completely heal. Follow the advice of your obstetrician in this regard.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: C-section done. Started feeling headache and chest tightness. Is this due to epidural? 19 minutes later
my ear feeling weird today, like firstthingi can feel is my ears instead of my head, my ears just feel heavy and weird, do i get ear infection after staying i the hospital for long? i stopped on the motrin at this moment , my incision not hurting,butmy ears, head feeling weird and heavier today, should i keep taking motrin or not? my head not hurting that bad i have to take med, my ears isthe first thing i can feel , what should i do,

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Thank you for getting back.
The ear complaints are not related to stopping motrin (ibuprofen). You should only re-start motrin, if you have pain/headache.
The ear problems do not look like any infection, but most likely due to blockage of Eustachian tube, which is a minor condition and settles soon.
You may do valsalva maneuver- try to close your nostrils and blow out to get relief. A short course of levocetrizine 5 mg daily at night for 3-5 days may also be useful.
If ear complaints persist, you may consult an ENT doctor.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

i just went to check with my doctor, she said i have alil ear effusion, im still waiting on my OB see if i can take sudafed or not because i gotpree-clampsia before, they affair it will affect my blood pressure , my ob havent get back to me yet, so will it be ok to take that?
my ob got back to me saying i can taking the sudafed , since im not taking any medicines, but my familly doctor, even other doctor and the pharmacy said that will increase in blood pressure, since i have pree-clampsia during labor, and got seizure, now my blood pressure is normal, i dont want to get back to the hospital again if the sudafed really affect my blood pressure, but my ears really uncomforble that i ant sleep, it is more uncomforble at night, i got the sudafed now but still affair to take it

Thank you for getting back.
Sudafed is safe for you and you can take it without getting afraid.
It does not lead to increase in BP upto any significant effect and is safe in pre-eclampsia.
However, people who have essential hypertension, high BP without any specific reason and are on regular BP medications, they should be cautious while using sudafed.
In summary, you can take sudafed, as advised by your doctor.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: C-section done. Started feeling headache and chest tightness. Is this due to epidural? 55 minutes later
thank you so much for all the information !

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 58 minutes later
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM