Bump on forearm, pain, weakness, burning, growing fast in size. Can it be a sign of malignancy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 43 year old and last 3weeks ago noticed a bump on my left forearm. I had some pain, slight weakness, and burning on my left arm. Today I noticed that the lump got bigger(as big as a penny) and my left arm is slightly weaker than my right side. It's kind of growing fast. Can it be a sign of malignancy? Should I see a neurologist for it or a surgeon?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 46 minutes later

A sudden appearance of a lump on the forearm hard in consistency and gradually increasing in size can be a bony swelling pressing on your nerves or a soft tissue swelling like a ganglion.

Without a physical examination it is impossible to comment on the nature of the swelling. Malignant swellings are usually painless.

Investigations like MRI are entailed to find out its origin and its effect on the adjacent nerves and muscles.

I would advise you to consult with your orthopaedician. He would be the best person to guide further diagnostic workup and treatment.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: Bump on forearm, pain, weakness, burning, growing fast in size. Can it be a sign of malignancy? 1 hour later
Hello Dr. Tayal,

Thanks for your response. When you mentioned that "it can be a bony swelling",what kind of swelling it might be? Something like Sarcoma you meant? I also noticed some swelling on my right color bone last week(when I was thin both sides were showing but after I gained some weight both almost disappear until couple weeks ago). I checked it with my PCP but forgot to mention about my forearm's lump. My PCP send me for an x-Ray only if my color bone gets bigger and painful. Can be these two issues related?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 58 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

Swelling on the collar bone might not be related to the forearm swelling but your symptoms of weakness and burning could be due to pressure on the nerves from the collar bone swelling.

By saying bony swelling I meant it to be benign like an osteoma. Possibility of malignant swelling is less in forearm bones.

You need proper investigations for diagnosis.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.