Bloating, swollen stomach. Taken antibiotics for bacteria. Done blood test. Feeling of something blocked inside. Help

Endocrinologist
Question
For the pest 3yrs I have been suffering frm bloating and swelling of the stomach which also seems worse after excersising ,sit ups,I had bacteria in me and was given antibiotics,the systems didn't,t go,I burp all the time even after water, I have been to my doctors about 8times who have done many blood tests,put a camera down my throat,and a scan ,only to b told I have nothing wrong.i have also seeked help from a specialist doctor on h.d pylori and was told to cut out wheat, glutton and dairy,which I did 4nearly 2yrs.he done many more tests that came back as not digesting my food and parasites in my stomach.i am very frustrated as am am pretty healthy for my age 51, I eat well and excersis 4times a wk,I feel as if sum thing is blocked inside me can u help ? XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 7 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Before I answer your queries could you please give me the following information

1. Please share with me you endoscopy (camera down the throat) report and other investigations that you have undergone
2. Please share with me the reports on basis of which you were asked to stop wheat and gluten.
3. Do you suffer from any other medical illness (Like diabetes, thyroid problem etc)

What you are suffering from is a very common problem and it is common with increasing age. Sometimes what happens is because of weakness of your lower esophageal sphincter (the part where your food pipe meets your stomach) or transient relaxation of the same, the acid from your stomach goes up to your food pipe causing burping, symptoms of indigestion and heart burn. However at your age we must rule out other conditions before we establish the above diagnosis

I can advise you the following tests :

1. A barium meal with follow through - will help us see if there is some obstruction in your food pipe or stomach which is preventing the food for going down freely
2. anti- TTG or anti EMA antibody- this is a blood test which would establish or rule out the gluten and wheat sensitivity.
3. tests you rule out diabetes and thyroid dysfunction (if you have not already undergone them)

I would advise you the following lines of management:

1. We can start you on a proton pump inhibitor with prokinetic agent- this can be prescribed to you by a GP
2. Avoid exercise 2-3 hr after meals.
3. Avoid lying down atleast 1 hr after eating
4. Try having keeping your head a little higher while you sleep- you may use an extra pillow for the same
5. Avoid mints, chocolates after meal
6. Have small frequent meals and avoid a large meal especially at bedtime.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr. Om Lakhani

Follow-up: Bloating, swollen stomach. Taken antibiotics for bacteria. Done blood test. Feeling of something blocked inside. Help 15 hours later
The camera put down my throat came back clear they were looking for ulsers,all the blood tests come back clear,I was told by dr XXXXXXX Holmes (who is h d plyria specalist to cut out wheat and glutton as it makes bacteria worse ) but it didn't show up in blood tests.i was tested again recently for bacteria and I'm clear, I don't eat big meals or excersise after eating,I have no medical problems like you asked,I don't realy have heart burn but a lot of burping and bloating,if I over eat the problem does get worse which is why I'm carfull what I eat.im always constipated, but don't have I b s ,I do have a lump in my throat a lot,like I need to keep swollowing to make it go down, I also sleep realy well XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 5 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for the follow up.

As I mentioned earlier, we can plan a barium study (barium swallow with meal and follow through) to know whether or not some obstructive pathology is a cause. That would also be helpful for the diagnosis.

Considering all the test reports are normal I mentioned a trial of proton pumps inhibitors and prokinetic agents. This would help with the burping issue. You may try this under the supervision of your physician.

For constipation, I am pleased to know you do not have IBS. Try having more fibers in your diet either natural products or commercial fiber preparations. Start with small amounts and gradually build up. If it doesn't work mild laxatives over a small period may help.

If all the tests are normal, then this can be treated adequately by your gastroenterologist. Discuss about the aforementioned options with him/her.

Hope the above information is helpful. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Have a healthy life.

Dr. Om Lakhani

Follow-up: Bloating, swollen stomach. Taken antibiotics for bacteria. Done blood test. Feeling of something blocked inside. Help 4 days later
You didn't,t answer the ques about the lump in my throat that I have had off and on for the past year is it connected to my stomach problems.? I always keep wanting to swallow something abit like when I have a cold .but I don't it's not swollen , can u help ?

Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 6 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Is it a lump in the throat or do you have just a sensation? I would suggest you get a physical examination done first by a General Physician. I am sorry, I cannot comment on this, as I have not examined you.

If you feel your throat gets dry often you can take lozenges, which can help keep the saliva, flowing. A barium swallow as I suggested earlier would answer the question about any throat problem as well, whether there is something pathological or not.

Sometimes inadequate saliva formation can cause these symptoms of need to swallow. Whether it is connected to your stomach problem or not can be answered by the investigations and a good physical examination.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Om Lakhani

Follow-up: Bloating, swollen stomach. Taken antibiotics for bacteria. Done blood test. Feeling of something blocked inside. Help 17 hours later
I will try to get to see my gp, and as for my stomach it does feel like the pipe you mentioned is blocked would a scan show this? And I always seem to feel more bloated after sits ups in the gym,where as befor my stomach always went down after excersising is this all connected ,as for my throat,it's not a lump just a sensation,that comes and goes XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 9 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Yes the "Barium swallow with meal and follow through" will help us find if there is any block in your food pipe, stomach or intestines. You can discuss this with your GP as well. The sensation itself could be due to anxiety and if the examination is negative, I dont think we should be worrying about that here.

Hope this discussion has helped you plan for further management of your condition and given you an insight into your symptoms. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Have a healthy life.

Dr. Om Lakhani