Bloated very frequently. Had IBS. Bio K did not help. Nexium caused loose muscles. Adrenal hormone problem?

Hi there. My problem is that almost every thing i eat, i get bloated. This problem started about 6 years ago when suddenly i saw under my belly is getting bigger and it looked very awkward because i was very thin. At that time i was also having problem with waking up in the middle of the night with feeling of starvation and craving fot salty food such as cheese and salamy and such. I went to see a local doctor and he sent me for a chech up to see if there is something wrong with my sugar and thyroid. Everything was normal. Since then my intestines got more and more sensitive towards food. In the past 2 years isaw 2 gastros. They basically dont care at all. The second one told me that its IBS and that he has seen people in worse situations. He asked me not to do colonoscopy and he also didnt send me for H Pilory breathing test he told me to first start with Bio K to see if i get better. Well i didnt, not even a little. About 2 months ago i talked to an online doctor and i told him that i bloat whenever i eat. He told me to take Domperidons and Nexium for a while. After taking these 2 for about 2 weeks my syndromes started going away. There was about 60% of improvement which means that i could eat anything and i wouldnt bloat as much at all. It looked like i had lost a few pounds too. It was like heaven to be able to eat anything you want. But then there were some side affects especially from nexium. They made me feel too lose in my muscles, my balance, i couldnt think clear and my speach and spelling were getting sloppy. So i stopped nexium but i continued Domperidons. It seems they are not functioning perfectly on their own and Nexium is stronger. So without them i am getting back to the bloating problem what should i do to figure out this issue? I might have some adrinal hormon problems according to another online doctor. He was suspicious of Addison's diseas but the ACTH was quite low so it can be a genetic disease like Barttar's syndrom. The reason the online doctors are suspiciuos about adrenal hormon problem is that my syndroms, since i was a baby were salt craving, very low blood pressure and severe constipation and weak muscles and body. I am still waiting to see a local Endo to do all these hormonal tests. Thank you for reading this.

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Eating Disorders
Answered by Dr. P.V Pradeep 24 hours later

The bloating and the gastrointestinal symptoms are suggestive of gastro intestinal problem. The very fact that there was relief with domperidone and nexium suggests a motility syndrome.

Endocrine dysfunctions are confirmed on testing blood samples for various hormones. You have not specified if you have performed blood tests such as serum Adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH).This is needed for further planning in this case.

There are 100s of causes for constipation and bowel symptoms so it will be better to get all the reports and previous doctors opinion to further advice. I would be in a better position to address your query if you could post your reports. Also the doctor’s opinions so far can be provided to understand your problem better.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Bloated very frequently. Had IBS. Bio K did not help. Nexium caused loose muscles. Adrenal hormone problem? 34 hours later

It seems you are not receiving my messages. I have sent you 2 message after you response, would you please tell me if you received them?

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. P.V Pradeep 26 hours later

I am sorry; I have not received any of your follow up query here.

Kindly post them again. If you find any difficulties, you can mail your query to customer support team ( YYYY@YYYY ) who are in contact with me. They can assist you to deliver your messages to me.

Awaiting your reply

Warm Regards
Follow-up: Bloated very frequently. Had IBS. Bio K did not help. Nexium caused loose muscles. Adrenal hormone problem? 11 hours later
Hi and thank you for your response.

I guess when I send a message through my cell-phone, the message doesn't get delivered, but if it's on my laptop, the system delivers the message.

The ACTH was 2.7. The test was done 5 pm.

The 2 local gastors that I saw were quite careless about my symptoms. The first one suggested homeopathic method. The second one sent me for a test which was related to intestinal cancer. That test was normal. Apart from that he told me to take Bio-K and he wouldn't even want to send me for a H-Pylory breathing test even though I asked him to do that. So, I spent lots of money on Bio-K and I saw no improvement.

Here in Canada, doctors are very determined not to help patients. They either tell you, you are fine, or they tell you to see a psychologist! That's why I am trying online doctors hoping that they would have something new to tell me.

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. P.V Pradeep 21 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
The ACTH test has no meaning on its own. To diagnose whether you have problem, we have to check Serum cortisol at 11 pm or a Salivary cortisol. This ACTH is not a diagnostic test without cortisol levels

For the tests related to intestinal cancer, please mention the details. There are so many tests for intestinal cancer that it would be hard to guess.

I suggest that the query may also be directed to medical gastroenterologist in our panel.

Awaiting your reply.
Follow-up: Bloated very frequently. Had IBS. Bio K did not help. Nexium caused loose muscles. Adrenal hormone problem? 3 hours later
Hi and thanks again for your response.

I did a random cortisol test at 5 PM (the same time I did ACTH) and it was 309.

Aren't you a gastroenterologist? How should I direct this query to the panel that you mentioned?
Answered by Dr. P.V Pradeep 12 hours later
The cortisol was normal as per our lab range which is 150-450nmol/l

No, I am surgical endocrinologist.

You may post a fresh query to Gastroenterologist and select the category or specialty as Gastroenterology. Your query will be directed to one on the panel.