Blew nose hard and had pain and pressure which spread to cheekbone. Sneezing is more. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
a few days ago I blew my nose extra hard. since then I had pain and pressure on the right side of my nose. it then spread to my cheekbone and above my eye. when I bend over it gets worse. it is also giving me some discomfort on the right side of my head. I don't have any known allergies. I also don't have any discharge coming out of my nose. the most is I sneeze a little more.
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. You seem to have developed sinus barotrauma and probably shearing of the delicate tissue in the nose after blowing your nose.

2. Treatment should consist of decongestants, both oral and local drops, anti-inflammatory medication, anti-allergics, steam inhalation and local fomentation.

3. If this does not settle down in a couple of days, get a nasal examination, endoscopy and a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) done.

4. Hence forth gently blow only one nostril at a time as far as possible.

5. Balloon Sinuplasty may help if medical treatment fails.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.